HOME

HOME                          ABOUT                          DAILY READS                          CONTACT


Dec 21, 2011

Word Wednesday : Progress Baby, Progress

I was contemplating taking an internet hiatus next week - from Christmas to New Year's - as sometimes, even though I thoroughly enjoy the communication and sharing and goodness that can happen therein, the process of checking and keeping up can be exhausting to me.  But look!  - it seems I've already taken a snoozer from the ol' blog... lo siento mucho.

The original intent of this blog was to chronicle thoughts, photos, recipes, experiences, artwork that depicted my encounters and re-encounters with things new in my life.  Things I was "green" at, so to speak.  One of the ways I intended to explore my lack of knowledge was in choosing a spice or herb each season to research and cook or bake with.  Blogging is not something I'm yet good (or will ever be good) at keeping up with, but let's take a look at the stats, for fun:

Spring 2011 - Tarragon - one post
Summer 2011 - Cilantro - one post
Fall 2011 - Cinnamon - two posts

Progress baby, progress.

(That's today's word by the way...)


prog·ress

[n. prog-res, -ruhs or, especially Brit.proh-gres; v. pruh-gres]
noun
1.
a movement toward a goal or to a further or higher stage
2.
developmental activity in science, technology, etc., especially with reference to the commercial opportunitiescreated thereby or to the promotion of the material well-being of the public through the goods, techniques, or facilities created
3.
advancement in general
4.
growth or development; continuous improvement


It's a pretty common word.  I often take for granted that it encompasses all movement towards a goal, towards some higher, something better.  My goals often don't get broken down into objectives, into digestible pieces.  Thus, it can get frustrating to not see any "progress"... Plus, I'm a numbers person, whether I like to admit it or not... I keep stats on myself, especially exercise.  Nerd, capital "N".  Point is, let's give ourselves some credit for the movements we do make (no exercise pun intended), however small.  Sometimes it's just a change in thinking that fuels the progress that will no doubt show on the outside - whether in increased grace or decreased waistlines.

Today, on the shortest day of the year, the official start of winter... give yourself some credit for how astounding you are today... and the path of progress you're on.


No comments:

Post a Comment