HOME

HOME                          ABOUT                          DAILY READS                          CONTACT


Nov 22, 2011

Fall's Research: Cinnamon, Part I

My 9th semester of college (yup, I'm a four and a half year-er) found me without scholarships, and pretty much working full-time without getting paid: student teaching.  I was ever so fortunate to be able to rent an apartment with my dear friend Masumi, right above the apartment of my dear friend Amber.  That fall semester was aplumb with potlucks and artwork and scrimping together leftover laundry money to take advantage of the Stewart's waffle cone sale.  One night, Amber decided to make pies, pumpkin pies, and I remember them being the best pumpkin pies I had ever tasted... could it be because we were all so poor that those joys seemed more potent?  Or is this really the world's best pie recipe?

For this Thanksgiving, I decided to give it a shot, and test that recipe in another physical and fiscal setting.  Feel free to do the same!  (And let me know what you think!)

{Robert Pattinson was here... hahaha, I crack myself up!}

Come to find out, Amber's recipe came straight off the pumpkin can, and that's how I still have it - a scrap of wrapping from around the tin:

{hmm... it's sideways}

*I do believe real pumpkin is better.  I had no access to that tonight though.
**We do not believe in cloves at my house.  
***Clearly, the P. Chop. put this pumpkin on the shelf.  I'm not endorsing their brand.  In fact, I think I used Hannaford... don't tell.

And in case I haven't mentioned it before, the herb/spice I chose to research and bake/cook with for the autumnal season is: CINNAMON.

Look for more to come.  In the mean time, here's a fun factoid from the Whole Foods Encylopedia:
Cinnamon is the dried inner bark of a tree in the laurel family.  Woot woot for my namesake!!

No comments:

Post a Comment